Use a “new” word in pop culture to create a poem that reflects the sound of the word, possible definitions (real or imagined), or what your mind’s eye sees at the mention of this word or phrase. For example, “Twitter” is no longer just a bird’s warbling. The word has grown to encompass something completely different. Play with a word or phrase that has evolved due to technology, the internet, or social media.
This week’s prompt is courtesy of an idea by Fred Pfister, who likes to laugh at my love for the word “widget”. He suggested this prompt as a way to play with some of the new words that technology has produced – or confiscated from its old definition! Have lots of fun with this one!
Servant or Master
Widget and Sidebar
Header and Footer
Who put all these strangers
inside my computer?
A Widget may fidget
to right or to left
It acts like an app
but that sounds a bit daft.
An app is a form
that can get me a rental
a job or a loan –
All these programs are mental.
So I’ll send my Widget
to fetch me a drink
while I stare at the screen
and try not to blink.
Add your poem below in the comments, or link to your site and be sure to visit other writers and support their work!
Be a regular in the Reason 2 Rhyme Poetry Ring (here’s how that works…)
- Monday Poetry Prompt – check this site for the week’s inspiration
- Share your poem in the comment section, or link to the site where you have it posted
- Visit other circle members and comment, like, or share their post
- Friday Feature – one participant will be randomly drawn from the circle to be featured on this site
That’s it! Haiku, Cinquain, Sonnet, Villanelle, Blank Verse, Free Form, Limerick… it’s all welcome!
- Reason 2 Rhyme Poetry Prompt – “Postcard Poem”
- Reason 2 Rhyme – “2 + 2 = Poem”
- Reason 2 Rhyme – Poetry Challenge “Like, Totally!”
- Reason 2 Rhyme – “This Day In History…”
- Reason 2 Rhyme – “Letter to the Landscape”
- Reason2Rhyme – “So Cliche”